This entry was posted on May 16, 2013.
We know...kind of mind-blowing, isn't it?!? Thanks to GroVia customers everywhere for using cloth diapers and making a dent in this awful statistic!
The fine print of how we calculated this:
- At least 20 BILLION disposable diapers sold in the US every year. (Real Diaper Association)
- 1 cup of crude oil per disposable diaper (National Geographic)
- 20 billion cups = 1.25 Billion gallons. (just math!)
- "Today's supertankers, on average, can carry about 2 million barrels or 84 million gallons of crude oil and petroleum product. The largest supertanker in the world is the Norwegian-owned Knock Nevis which is 647,955 tonnes deadweight and can hold 4.1 million barrels of petroleum." (U.S. Energy Information Administration - www.eia.gov/)
- 1.25 Billion gallons divided by 84 million gallons per supertanker = 14.88 supertankers of oil. You could also say that it takes 7.4 of the world's largest supertankers. (again...just math!)